February 17, 2014 | Posted in:Art Quilters Canberra
This an image from the Art quilters meeting on 8 Feb. It is one of the challenge responses to use the pink floral fabric. It is by Robyn McPherson and is titled January Blooms. Robyn has used 10 layers of organza with the challenge fabric on top plus three layers of Tyvek, quilted then zapped with a heat gun. The resulting piece was attached to a green background. Final measurement is 14” X 28”.
The new challenge
We will be doing a four month project taking a piece of fabric and working up from the background in four steps:
- Colour: you can start by dyeing, bleaching, shibori, batik, rusting, etc.
- Marking: next level will be stamping, free-hand painting, stencilling, etc.
- Applique: this could be regular applique, reverse applique, adding sheers, etc
- Embellishment: this could include machine or hand embroidery, or beading, etc.
We decided you can make your piece any size you would like. Each month you can bring your project to the meetings to Show&Tell and we can help if anyone is stuck with what to do with the next layer. If this project goes well, we may repeat it but at each layer, hand the piece on to someone else, eventually to return to its owner.
Next Meeting is 8 March from 1pm.
- Art Quilters meeting – Saturday 8 March - […] will be there to lead the meeting. Refer to the post on 17 February for details of the […]