The meeting is this Thursday from 7.30-10.30pm in the CQ room at Cook.
Jenny is going to demonstrate a block that she showed last month (from the Moda Bake Shop) and has asked that you bring the following:
- Smallish mat and rotary cutter and small ruler or use the ones in the room. Having everything beside you is heaps easier for this block.
- Pins scissors, threads and unpicker. I matched thread to the background or bring a midrange value.
- Fabrics – either as on the pattern
- A sewing machine with a quarter inch foot
To make only 2 blocks just to get the idea of it bring the following strips cut from a jelly roll. The full instructions are good if you intend to use the rest of the roll for more blocks as they maximise the strips you will get. If you do not want to use a jelly roll all strips are 2.5″ wide. Mix up the colours.
- 4 rectangles of background cut size 4″ x 8″
- 2 strips cut 8″
- 4 strips cut 9.5″
- 4 strips cut 11″
- 2 strips cut 12.5″
The link above is the tutorial and illustration.
If you want to make the whole quilt – you have some cutting to do. I made nine blocks and one where I stopped halfway in about two and a half hours, but I was trying to go fast. If you want the whole thing – work from the instructions on the tutorial for cutting. It uses two jelly rolls and yardage for the background to make thirty six blocks measuring 12.5″ unfinished. I think the background should be the same colour throughout as it means that it is hard to see where blocks end, and that is really interesting.
The group is going to make a quilt for entry in the group quilts category of the annual members’ exhibition. There are sewing days planned for this already on 30 may and 7 June. Those participating have already been given further information.