May 7, 2018 | Posted in:modern quilters
The next meeting is 10 May, from 7.30pm, in the CQ room at the Cook Community Hub.
Status for the group quilt that will be entered in the CQ exhibition (from Nicole).
We started with:
- Low Volume and Grey colour and Improvisational straight lines – 6.5 inch squares
- 28 of the 30 members at the following meeting made a block – some made 2!! Whoa! Blew my mind! The blocks were amazing together. I love how people started feeling that they might not have done the right thing, doubting their work after deliberating for hours over fabric choices and design. But we knew you guys could do it. Once those blocks went up on the design wall…. well I think we all could not believe that it worked! It worked guys!
And over the last two months have added:
- Aubergine/Eggplant purple and grey purple colours and Rectangles – 6.5 inch wide – any length
- Orange and Diamonds – no size restrictions
- Ellipses – using the method Jenny showed at the last meeting where it is sewn onto a thin interfacing/pellon. These may float over the quilt so they need to be a single shape – not sewn onto a block.
- 31 members have made blocks, most have made several!
This means that this month you can create blocks that include one or all of the following colours:
- Low Volume
- Eggplant Purple/Aubergine or grey purples
- Orange (don’t use much or else it will overwhelm the quilt)
Blocks can use any or all of the following themes:
- Improvisational straight lines
Blocks can be any size this month. We are going to start working out how to put all the blocks together to produce a great quilt. I have no idea how this is going to look but I’m really looking forward to seeing it. We might need to add more fabric in or take some blocks out to balance the shapes, the colours and the movement in the quilt. We will also need somewhere for our eye to rest.
And then its GO time! That means we will need to organise to get together and sew the blocks together, quilt and bind!
We aim to encourage members to learn about, discuss and experiment with the principles of the Modern Quilt movement. Graphic styles, clear modern colours and renewed simplicity in quilting are sweeping the world!
Bring along show & tell, as well as what you are working on now!