March 11, 2014 | Posted in:Member News
A number of members are involved in the running of the Patchwork and Quilting section in the Craft Expo run at the Royal Canberra Agricultural Show. Chief Steward, Lisa Teasdale, has advised us of the results. Many of the exhibitors and winners are members of Canberra Quilters.
Sponsorship of the Overall Champion and Reserve Champion for Quilting and Patchwork is by Rosemont the Patchwork Shop. The Overall Champion for 2014 is Helen Worth and Reserve Champion is Fiona Hammond. Congratulations to you both and enjoy the shopping!
Student years 7-12 We received eleven entries this year.
- The Best Student Exhibit was awarded to Avneet Bakshi who received Canberra Quilters Inc. and Royal National Agricultural Show Awards
- The Highly Commended Student was awarded to Monica Tran who also received a Canberra Quilters Inc Award.
- Both girls also received Rosemont Awards as first and second place winners in this category.
- The 3rd place Ribbon was awarded to Victoria Blayney-Brown
- Highly Commended Certificates were awarded to Ashleigh Harris and Emily King.
- Joanne Frizza received 1st prize and a Rosemont Award for her wonderful Opera House quilt – the Special Challenge open to all ages topic was “Landmarks”.
752 – Any exhibit category – Penny Jordan was awarded first prize for her quilt and received a lovely book from the Sewing Doctor.
In the Non-Professional section:
753. Traditional Quilting Patchwork received five entries
- Congratulations to Karen Smith, who was awarded a book from the Sewing Machine Doctor
- 2nd – Cornelia O’Donnell
- 3rd – Wendy Hirst
754. Contemporary Quilting Patchwork – received eleven entries
- Congratulations to Coral Brady, who received a Rosemont Voucher for first place.
- 2nd Jo McBride
- 3rd Sue Wood
- Highly Commended: Helen Worth
755. Traditional Applique – received five entries for this category
- 1st– Helen Worth – Rosemont Voucher
- 2nd – Cornelia O’Donnell
- 3rd – Margaret Ferrett
757 Trudi Tritschler won first prize in the Creative Garment category with her wonderful Jacket, I’m sure she’ll enjoy her Rosemont Gift Voucher.
Congratulations to Louise Fredericks who received a 2nd place ribbon
758 Jenny White received a Rosemont Voucher for her first place in the Creative Article category with her beautiful table runner.
- 1st Fiona Hammond – who I’m sure, will enjoy her Rosemont Voucher
- 2nd Raylee Bielenberg
- 3rd Fiona Hammond
Senior 60 years and over –
- Patricia Parker for her beautiful wall hanging. Patricia received a Voucher from Rosemont
- 2nd Julie Traill
- 3rd Mavis Corner
The Special Challenge for 2015 is Rainbows and an additional category will be added for Modern Quilting.