February 13, 2021 | Posted in:Row-by-row Challenge
This week the ROWmakers design group resumed meeting, with COVIDSafe rules in place. Because we didn’t get much happening for our 10th year in 2020, the same ingredients and “rules” apply for 2021.
At the first draw on Wednesday these were the ingredients drawn out-
Yellow, Triangle, Music Group/Artist
The next meeting is on Wednesday 10 March, 10am for a 10.30am start, in the CQ room at the Cook Community Hub. It is followed by a drop-in, until 4pm. So you can stay all day to sew. You must book your place to meet the COVIDSafe requirements. Bookings for next month will be on the website towards the end of this month
So here is last year’s post, to refresh your memory and offer some ideas-
The ROWmakers is a design group that meets once a month on the second Wednesday, February – December. The purpose of the group is to design and make a unique quilt or quilt-related project, over the course of the year, using ingredients drawn at random each month.
This year is the 10th year this has been run and the ingredients fall into three categories – colour, shape and theme. The latter has new options and is based on social themes. Each month one item is drawn from each category.
As mentioned in the email from our co-ordinator, Joanne …
We came up with some approaches:
- Children’s quilts were popular so Fairy Tales/Nursery Rhymes, Cartoons or Movies would be an option for the whole year.
- Liz suggested if you wanted to do a travel quilt you could chose TV Shows and use “Getaway”.
- Song lyrics was another suggestion. (“Somewhere over the Rainbow” – and then you could just do the colour!) Another was to base a quilt on the work of a favourite artist.
- I’m doing a Cat quilt and finding cats in each theme. You could do the same for a House quilt or a Christmas quilt.
- You can expand the scope of the category. Zodiac could be western star signs, Chinese horoscope animals, the associated elements (earth, fire, air, water, metal, wood) and the associated gemstones, flowers and colours.
- Or you could do what a couple of our members have been known to do and ignore the whole category. And then someone in the group will see the block and come up with a connection anyway!I hope everyone has fun and if you’re stuck there’s always Google. (I googled cats and myths and got witches – easy.)
The full list of ‘rules’ and instructions is available here. (ROW=Rowdy on Wednesday)